According to UK statistics, there are an estimated 80,000 individuals in the UK running home businesses from their garden sheds. Many of these individuals are mothers running businesses from home and individuals who wish to operate flexible and part-time businesses. According to this research, 60% of these businesses are run by a sole individual, and 30% of these businesses have two to five employees working for them. Almost 75% of all of these workers say they enjoy working in their sheds and don’t see any reason to move their franchises to an office building.
With about 30 million garden sheds and outbuildings in the UK, it may be time for you to think outside the box for starting up your new business. If you have a shed in your backyard, why spend time, effort, and money on an office? You can run your business in your backyard and enjoy the many benefits associated with working from home.
Benefits Of Working in Garden Sheds
Working from your garden shed is very advantageous. It offers you the same types of benefits as working from home, like:
- No commute
- Low cost because you do not have to pay rent for an office suite or drive to work
- Flexible hours
- Ability to spend more time with your family
- Deductible expenses, like internet, phone, and computers
- You are less likely to become sick working from home, so you can work more days and lower your medical costs
- Increase productivity
- Less anxiety and stress
Garden sheds also provide you with a different type of atmosphere than a home office would. You can actually get out of the house to work and step away from the many distractions in your home that could lessen your productivity.
5 Businesses You Can Run From Your Garden Shed
While sheds used to solely be used for storage, they have evolved into resources that can be used by many types of businesses. Here are just a few.
- Music Production – Whether you are a composer, singer, or play an instrument, a garden shed is the perfect location to begin your music business. An insulated garden shed will provide you with the freedom to play or sing as loud and as long as you want and it will also give you the privacy you need to write the next hit song.
- Writing – Are you struggling to make the next best seller list? Working inside of your home can provide too many distractions for an inspiring author. In a shed, you won’t need to think about those dishes sitting in your sink or that load of laundry that needs to be folded. You will have the peace and quiet needed to get your thoughts out on paper.
- Woodworking – Many homeowners use their sheds to store tools like power saws, hammers, and nails. If you are interested in starting your own home-based business, why not use these tools to your advantage? Grab some wood and create unique items you can sell, like bookshelves, picture frames, or jewellery boxes.
- Doggy Day-care – Do you have a passion for four-legged animals? Consider turning your shed into the perfect doggy day-care location. Simply fence in your backyard and stock your shed full of dog food, treats, bedding, toys, and brushes. You may also want to provide crates or kennels for dogs you will take care overnight. The garden sheds will allow the dogs to have a nice area to sleep and rest out of the sun and your backyard will provide the perfect location for them to run and play. Dog owners who work long hours or go on vacation will be happy to leave their pet with such a caring and providing individual.
- Design – Whether you are a graphic designer, an interior designer, or work in architecture, a shed may be the perfect place for you to work. You will have plenty of room to lay out your designs, space for additional employees, and you will be able to reduce the cost of your operation. With advances in technology, it is also easy to make conference calls through your phone or computer with potential clients or other colleagues. With a broadband internet connection, you can also use your webcam to show a client or colleague thousands of miles away your design ideas.
Working from home in garden sheds is not just a wonderful idea, but a convenient and manageable one. Don’t spend extra money renting out office space. Clear out your garden shed and start making business plans today.